Drogba Drama “Resolved,” says Impact Owner Saputo

IMAGE, MATT KREMKAU FOR EMPIRE OF SOCCER

By Ryan Brister

Montreal Impact owner Joey Saputo said that the recent drama surrounding Didier Drogba’s role on the team has been “resolved.”

Drogba refused to suit up for Sunday’s derby match against Toronto after being dropped from the starting lineup by head coach Mauro Biello. He had been on the bench for three of the previous five games for Montreal, and did not appear against Orlando.

“Didier has accepted to assume the role that the head coach sees fit while contributing to the success of this club moving forward,” said Saputo in a statement on the club website.

This is not the first time we’ve seen friction between Drogba and the club. He publicly wished to retire in the offseason to return to Chelsea in a coaching role, after a brilliant 2015 half-season for the Impact.

The Impact are heading to the playoffs, but right now face the prospect of going on the road in the knockout round. They have won just two of their last 11 matches. Drogba, who scored 11 goals down the stretch last year, has scored just twice since July.


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c12/h02/mnt/211961/domains/empireofsoccer.com/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399

Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c12/h02/mnt/211961/domains/empireofsoccer.com/html/wp-content/plugins/bmo-expo/classes/theGallery.php on line 136