Sky Blue FC Finishes Season with 3-2 loss to FC Kansas City


By MC Bousquette

Sky Blue FC finished its season in defeat as FC Kansas City notched three goals to down the team 3-2 at Yurcack Field.

Despite two goals from Sam Kerr, one in the 39th minute off an assist from Kelley O’Hara and another in the 73rd minute, a solo goal from Sarah Hagen and a brace from Amy Rodriguez lifted FC Kansas City above Sky Blue FC.

Hagen opened Kansas City’s scoring account just five minutes into the match as Kansas City came roaring out of the gates. Sky Blue attempted a retort in the 8th minute, but Nicole Barnhart cleared the effort from Jonelle Filigno. Kerr tried her hand at an equalizer a handful of minutes later, but Barnhart pulled through again.

The battle for the ball continued, as the teams engaged in a spirited back and forth. Heather O’Reilly pushed the ball to Lauren Holiday in the 23rd minute, but Holiday’s attempt missed just wide of goal. Kerr then responded with a ball in to Katy Freels, but Freels was unable to convert.

Holiday, in another effort to record a goal in her last NWSL regular season match ever, nailed goalkeeper Brittany Cameron with a shot, but Cameron poked the ball away from goal. Rodriguez sent a bullet in, but the ball hit the post and rebounded out of bounds.

Sky Blue finally found an equalizer in the 39th minute as O’Hara connected with Kerr to find the back of the net. Just three minutes after Kerr’s backflip celebration, Rodriguez recorded her first goal of the night to return the lead to her side.

As the offensively driven half ended, FC Kansas City led 2-1. Kansas City came off the bench hot, and Rodriguez secured her brace in the 52nd minute off an assist from Becca Moros, upping FC Kansas City’s lead to 3-1.

Freels tried to set up O’Hara in the 58th minute, but O’Hara’s threatening effort wound up in Barnhart’s hands.

In preparation for the playoffs, Holiday was granted relief by Mandy Laddish and Rodriguez by Yael Averbuch fifteen minutes into the half.

After back and forth action from both sides, Sarah Killion found Kerr who recorded her second goal of the night to bring the score to 3-2 in the 72nd minute.

Despite concerted efforts from both sides, including a dangerous one off a touch from Killion on a free kick in the 84th that narrowly missed above the crossbar. Sky Blue didn’t let up, but the Becky Sauerbrunn-led defense held strong against the Jersey side.

The match ended 3-2 as Sky Blue’s season concludes just shy of a playoff berth.

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c12/h02/mnt/211961/domains/ on line 399

Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c12/h02/mnt/211961/domains/ on line 136