FA Cup Rewind, Highlights: Arsenal survive Wigan scare, Hull fight back to reach final


Staff Writer

Arsenal’s form had been rocky in the weeks leading up to the FA Cup semi-final, and it showed on the pitch. The Gunners were a side looking bereft of confidence throughout most of the match.

However, they managed to escape in a penalty shootout to advance to the final.

A lot of credit has to go to Wigan. At times, it looked like they were the Premier League side rather than Arsenal. It is no coincidence that they took down Manchester City in the previous round. They were within eight minutes of advancing.

Per Mertesacker took down Callum McManaman as he drove in from the right side. Mertesacker should have known better then to go to ground on the slide tackle and it was rightfully ruled a foul. Jordi Gomez stepped up to take the ensuing penalty kick, beating Lukasz Fabianski, who guessed the correct side.

Mertesacker went from zero to hero as he netted the equalizer. The Gunners ramped up the pressure after conceding. The big German defender headed home after a scramble in the box.

The game then went into extra-time, where Arsenal again were on the front foot. The best chance came when Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain‘s shot struck the underside of the crossbar.

It all came down to penalties and this time Fabianksi came up huge. He saved the first two spot kicks from Gary Caldwell and Jack CollisonMikel Arteta and Kim Kallstrom gave Arsenal a 2-0 advantage.

Wigan then converted their next two kicks from Jean Beausejour and James McArthur. However, so did Arsenal as they advance. Olivier Giroud finished for the third and Santi Cazorla scored the clinching penalty kick.

Other FA Cup Results

1. Hull Ends Sheffield United’s Cinderella Run– For a glimpse, it looked like the clock would stay away from midnight for Sheffield United. However, the League One side couldn’t maintain their magic, falling to Hull City 5-3.

The Tigers reach the final for the first time in their history.

The Blades took the lead through Jose Baxter.  John Brayford‘s cross found Baxter who was able to finish from close range in the 19th minute.

There was a flurry of goals just before halftime. Hull was able to equalize in the 42nd minute. Yannick Sagbo was picked out by Ahmed Elmohamady as he finished first time. The Blades were able to push back in front in the 44th. Steven Scougall finished from close-range. Jamie Murphy cut the ball back from the goal-line and Scougall found the back of the net.

However, Hull would fight back for the second time and then opened up a lead. Second half substitute Matty Fryatt leveled the match just on the other side of the break in the 49th minute. James Chester‘s mis-hit fell fortunately to Fryatt who scored from six yards out.

Hull had the lead six minutes later. Tom Huddlestone picked out the top left corner with his shot. The lead was double in the 67th minute through Stephen Quinn.

The substitute and former Blade scored almost immediately after coming on, heading home a Jake Livermore cross. Sheffield would get a third, but it would be only a consolation. Murphy volleyed in the 90th minute. Hull would find one more goal as David Meyler added a fifth in second half stoppage time.

Here are the match highlights: