Big saves again from Gaudette but what the heck was wrong with Roy Miller? He played like he was hungover.
Its normal that Miller would be blamed for both goals, the truth is Miller is an attacking fullback and throughout the year he has been instrumental in many of our goals (6 assists), but when you have an attacking fullback( like Alves at Barcelona for example) the midfielders have to cover for that player when he is on the attack and we did a very poor job at that yesterday. The second goal was a poor pass to Miller by Lade which resulted in Miller not being able to get a proper touch on it and than we got burned on the counter. Yesterdays poor start was because of poor Midfield play which got better as the game progressed. Instead of looking at Miller we have to look at why did LeToux start over Cooper. LeToux has not been good with us, Cooper should be ahead of him in the pecking order. Its easy to make Miller the scapegoat but when a defender attacks the midfield hs to cover for him and we havent done a good job of that.
Regarding Miller it’s definitely a spot where we miss Dane. His raw pace allowed the fullback behind him to cheat up and most times Dane could make up enough ground to slow an opposing counter.
That being said, Miller is a serious liability on defense. He has combined with Lindpere well at times on the left but his instincts are just not good enough and when he also doesn’t have Lade’s pace and energy he can definitely be a major issue. If you watch the replay of Portland’s first goal Miller might have had a chance to try to break up the pass across the face of goal – I know Dax would have at least tried.
I think the Miller hate is justified for this game as he looked very poor. Hungover or terrible recovery from the travel.
Dax was poorly positioned on the 1st Portland goal.
Lade was below average yesterday.
I think the sides are getting mixed up as it was Lindpere/Miller on the left and Solli/Lade on the right. When Miller came out LeToux to RH, Solli went to RB, Lade LB replacing Miller.
First goal: 80 percent Miller fault. Watch the reply: Portlands heads it out. Miller is slowly moving up to defend after the header is won by a Portland player. The Portland player dribbles backward controlling the ball. Now here is where Miller is slow to react. Miller has to start tracking Zizzo who is now moving up the field, right past Miller. Miller continues to ball watch and not track Zizzo. Ball is played over Miller and Zizzo is off to the races. 10 percent Lade fault. Lade runs back to deep and doesn’t take a better angle. When lade does go toward Zizzo, Lade is already 2 or 3 yards inside the 18. And then Lade backs away, backs away, backs away almost into the six, allowing Zizzo to gather himself and make the easy comfortable pass pressure free. 10 percent Dax. Dax lost track of Tike. Ball watching also.
Second goal: 95 percent Miller. The pass to Miller was enough that a professional should one touch it or handle the possession better. Instead, Miller gets caught up on the ball, trips, loses the ball and by now, Portland is off to the races. I give the other 5 percent to Hogie and Lade. Watch Lade following number 8 on Portland down the right flank (NYRB). He tracks him, yes, brings him inside and Hogie steps up and knocks Lade off of him.
Did anyone else notice that Pearce and Holger were basically playing holding mid for stretches? I’m not sure why such a talented team is terrified of holding the ball in midfield. Part of it is Cahill continuing to get acclimated but it doesn’t seem like there are enough runs where players are coming to get the ball. Even though we have a ton of size there’s no reason to long ball as much as we do.
Copyright © 2013 Empire of Soccer. Website by SD Shields Ltd.