Men’s College Roundup: St. Francis and FDU Win

Dominick Falanga scored the winner for St. Francis

NCAA logoKeirol Aaron contributed to this report

St. Francis (6-4) won its only game this week, defeating Hartwick, 2-1, at Brooklyn Bridge Park. The Terriers’ scored a goal in each half to see out a close win. The Terriers hope to continue their win streak at Fairleigh Dickinson in Teaneck, N.J., on Sunday.

FDU (6-2-1) was happy after its 3-2 home win against Bucknell. The Knights’ two second-half goals were enough to get them into overtime, where they grabbed a game winner. All of this energy is set to continue as the Knights look to win at Bryant in Rhode Island on Friday, Oct. 6.

LIU (1-6-2) was a bit unlucky in its away game on Wednesday. The Blackbirds went into overtime for the third time this season after an 89th-minute goal from La Salle University. Though LIU had a lead after scoring in the 70th, one goal was not enough to secure the victory. They had to settle for a draw and their fortunes failed to improve at home against Albany midweek in a 2-1 loss.

Rutgers (2-8-1) started its week with a 3-2 loss at home against Wisconsin. The Knights and their 731 supporters gave their all scoring in each half ,but that was no match for Wisconsin, which scored three times in the second half to get the road win. The goal scorer for the Knights was Thomas Dovell in the 27the minute. The second goal was an own goal in the 81st minute. The Scarlet Knights hope to bounce back on Friday night at Michigan.

Columbia went into the weekend in style as it had a Friday night win, 3-0, at home. The Lions are currently 5-1-2 in the season after losing to Pittsburgh midweek. Their win against the Bears was comfortable because of two first-half goals and one in the second half, scored by Dylan Mott, Alex Bangerl (penalty) and Arthur Bosua. To add on, freshman Beto Carrillo impressed the crowd and his coach with his ball skills to assist the third and final goal for the Lions.

Fordham (7-2-2) had to settle for a point on Saturday as it took on George Mason in Virginia. The Rams went through one of their most physical games of the season, with 41 fouls between the teams. The maximum effort was enough to send them home with a point after an equalizer in the 84the minute, in the form of a tap in from Jannik Loebe. When the game went into overtime, both teams pushed for a winner, but one never came.

St. John’s (7-2) took a trip to Indiana on Saturday, where it lost, 2-1, at Butler in overtime. The Red Storm were doomed by a 105th-minute penalty in an intense and physical match. It was an unlucky result, but Coach Dave Masur hopes his team can recover in time for their coming game, Friday night at Creighton.

Seton Hall (4-6-1) bounced back from a previous loss to win, 2-0, at home against Creighton. The game belonged to the South Americans as both Andres Arcila (Colombia) and Francisco Alderete (Argentina) from the Pirates got on the score sheet. Creighton got frustrated from losing after 80 minutes ,which had them eventually see red. All of this positive energy will be carried to the Hall’s next game at home against DePaul this weekend.

Iona (2-4-2) dropped to 1-2 in the MAAC after its 2-0 defeat over the weekend at Siena. Siena managed two goals before the halftime whistle, and the Gaels were unable to complete the comeback despite two goals from junior Humbert Ferrer, who comes from Barcelona. The Gaels return to action on Saturday against division rivals Marist (5-6).