MLS Week 3 Recap: A Thriller in Portland



The third week of the 2017 Major League Soccer season did not lack for action. Referees awarded seven penalties and showed four red cards. There were 36 goals scored in 11 games, 6 on Saturday night in Portland and 4 more by expansion tlanta, which leads the league with 11 through three games.

Portland 4-2 Houston

Portland won a barnburner. There were two disputed handball calls in the first half, the first resulting in a penalty kick for the Timbers, which Diego Valeri scored. The second penalty went to the Dynamo, which Cubo Torres scored. Romell Quioto put the visitors in front just before halftime, thanks to a well-placed ball from Alberth Elis.

After the break, the Timbers roared back in front. Valeri scored from open play to tie the match, then the newcomer David Guzmán gave Portland the lead in the 66th minute. Fanendo Adi scored an insurance goal late.

Colorado 2-2 Minnesota United

Minnesota United fought to a draw on the road, earning its first point in MLS. A comedy of errors led to the Rapids taking an early lead, with Dominique Badji pouncing on a poor clearance. But the Loons showed fight in the second half, tying the game on a penalty and then taking the lead

Minnesota’s edge was short-lived. Marlon Hairston was left free to head in the tying goal in the next minute. United’s Justin Davis was sent off for a wild follow-through, forcing the visitors to hang on for the final 20 minutes.

Atlanta United 4-0 Chicago

Atlanta trounced Chicago in its first win at home. Things started disastrously for the Fire, with an own goal and red card in the opening quarter hour, and didn’t improve from there. Atlanta scored a lone goal in the first half, but United broke open the game in the final half hour. Josef Martínez scored twice, including once from a nearly impossible angle; Hector Villalba had the other goal. 

Real Salt Lake 1-2 Los Angeles

Los Angeles came from behind to defeat 10-man Salt Lake. Yura Movsisyan scored the first goal of the game, and RSL’s first of the season. The match turned on a second yellow card given to Kyle Beckerman in the 44th minute. In the second half, Los Angeles pressured with the man advantage, and it eventually found a goal. Dave Romney hammered in a volley off a corner kick, and Emmanuel Boateng put the Galaxy in front five minutes later. Boateng’s five goals in MLS have all come against RSL.

Seattle 3-1 Red Bulls

C7UThSAXUAEsbEwThe defending champions won their home opener over the Red Bulls. Seattle took the lead midway through the first half on a penalty converted by Clint Dempsey. Goalkeeper Luis Robles was forced to take out Jordan Morris after a poor back pass by Damien Perrinelle. The Sounders seemed to have control in the second half when Bradley Wright-Phillips tied the game on an angled header.

Seattle regained the lead soon after. Nicolas Lodeiro lofted a ball toward the back post that Morris headed in. Harry Shipp then got on the scoresheet by redirecting a Joevin Jones shot into the corner of the net. The loss ends the Red Bulls’ 18-game regular-season unbeaten streak.

Sporting Kansas City 2-1 San Jose

Kansas City scored a beautiful goal and an ugly one in defeating San Jose. The first came from Benny Feilhaber, who froze David Bingham with a shot that curled into the far side of the net. Late in the game Bingham committed a error, which turned an off-target shot into an own goal.

SKC thought the win was secure, but San Jose nearly salvaged a draw. Florian Jungwirth pulled the Quakes within one with a stoppage-time goal. Tim Melia had to make a diving save in the final moments to preserve the victory.

Vancouver 0-2 Toronto

Toronto went to Vancouver and left with three points. The match was scoreless for more than an hour, but turned in TFC’s favor when Brek Shea was sent off. Shea received two yellow cards in quick succession: one for a foul, one for dissent. The Reds seized on their opportunity. Substitute Victor Valdez scored in the 76th minute, and then Jozy Altidore in the 80th.

Dallas 2-1 New England

New England scored first, but Dallas rallied to win. The Revs jumped in front on a penalty after Antonio Delamea was wrestled to the ground. They held that lead well into the second half, but were undone by long diagonal balls and two goals by Maxi Urruti. 

NYC 1-1 Montreal

Montreal made NYCFC pay for poor finishing in a 1-1 draw. City controlled much of the first half, producing several chances. But it had to wait until just before the break, when Rodney Wallace pounced on a rebound to give the hosts the lead. The Impact stuck around, aided by three saves from Evan Bush, and got a goal from Dominic Oduro in the second half.

Orlando City 2-1 Philadelphia

Cyle Larin’s two goals lifted Orlando over Philadelphia. The first half was a physical, choppy affair, which opened up long enough for Carlos Rivas to get in behind the defense and assist on Larin’s first goal. The Union pushed back, equalizing the match on a goal by C.J. Sapong after halftime. But Larin was not done, and the Canadian forward beat Andre Blake one-on-one to claim three points for the Lions.

D.C. United 0-2 Columbus

A pair of penalties propelled Columbus past DC. Both times it was Steve Birnbaum whistled for the foul in the box. In the first half, Federico Higuain scored the penalty; Ola Kamara stepped up in the second. DC has not scored in its first three games, and the apparent hamstring injury sustained by Patrick Mullins will not help matters.